Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I must be out of my mind

So...somehow I got roped into trying out for some Acapella group next week. Do you all know the last time I sang? Yeah, I was in middle school. Boys were still new and exciting back then.

Seriously, I was in seventh grade. No joke.
And yet here I am, all hunky dory at the Activities Fair, when I made the mistake of telling the Acapella group that I used to sing. They were on me like flies on honey. Oh God, no, I don't want to audition with my little seventh grader voice.

But I found myself saying, "Oh, alright, I guess I can sign up...I'm not making any promises though..." and was rewarded with much cheering. They wouldn't be cheering if they knew I hadn't sang for 12 years.

And apparently, I signed in blood, because the second I got home, I was inundated with Facebook friends, a new event and an personalized email detailing when my audition time is. Gulp.

Let us be your friend. No harm will come to you. We promise....
I think I went a bit overboard at the Activites Fair. I signed up from everything from almost every specialty interest group there was to helping kids with chemotherapy to teaching middle schoolers about the health care professions to volunteering with pregnant teenagers to a physician minority group. I'm not even a minority. I just couldn't say no; they were so excited and there was no commitment to signing up for emails, right?

Pwease sign up for my group. I'll love you foreverz.
*sigh* And now I find myself singing.

Speaking of out of my mind, we keep hearing the analogy "drinking from a fire hose", and, boy, they weren't kidding. In the past 3 days, I'm fairly certain I learned more than in several weeks of lectures during undergrad or my postbacc. Must cram it all. in. my. brain.

Also, have our first test in 2.5 weeks! What?

To add insult to serious studying, I'm sick. In fact, while writing this post, I coughed unexpectedly and a huge wad of phlegm landed on my computer screen. Excellent. Better there than in my professor's face I suppose.

In my haze of Sudafed and Advil delirium, I promptly forgot my locker combination the first day of school. Of course I wrote it down and left it...yep, you guessed it, at home. So I spent the first day carrying around two giant duffel bags of books and laptops and clothes, plus my purse. Oh, and did I forget to mention, I was in heels. Because I want to look professional. Silly me. And my eyes may have been watering from the random sneeze attacks I've been getting. I was a pretty pathetic sight.

I was carrying so much stuff that random strangers on the street asked if they could help me. The homeless guy was concerned about me. The shuttle driver physically got out of his seat to help me out of his van.

You know, that's probably why I signed up for singing. I blame the drugs.

PS. I'm going to sing "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid. Seriously out of my mind.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, so I was just thinking about how I use to sing the other day. For our convocation ceremony we had to go say something on stage about ourselves that had nothing to do with academics. Mine was that I've sang at Carnegie Hall in NYC. It's true.. but was in fifth grade chorus, and I probably just lip-sang. Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about your try-outs. Did you have it yet, if so, how did it go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tara - Love it.

    @Anon - They are tomorrow. I will let ya'll know the outcome.

    ReplyDelete