Monday, August 1, 2011

Breaking the ice

I have this six inch scar down my back.


It's not often that I wear clothes revealing enough to show it off, but when I do, it gives me a perfect setup. Especially when I'm headed to the beach with friends who don't know everything about me. In honor of Shark Week, I will re-enact the conversation for you here.

Friend: Wow, how'd you get that scar?

Me (casually): Oh, this? Shark attack.

Friend (disbelieving): No way!

Me (nods convincingly): Yeah, believe it or not, I was snorkeling off the coast of Acapulco in high school when a shark bit me.

Friend: You're joking with me, right?

Me (smiles sadly): No, I wish I was. I didn't get a good look at the shark, but it wasn't big or anything. I mean, I don't think it was a great white or something. I'd probably be dead if it was. [I shudder.]

Friend (trying to find a hole in my story): How'd you get away?

Me (looks far away; as if reliving a painful memory): I don't remember all that well, it was kind of traumatic, you know? I think I was able to walk out of the water pretty easily; I wasn't swimming far offshore or anything.

At this point, my friend is trying to convince themselves how I am lying. But I've thrown in enough believable details that it is turning the tide. I've given them location and that the shark was small, not like a scene out of Jaws. And don't forget, at the end of the day, I do have a giant scar down my back.

Friend (incredulous, but starting to believe): Wow, you are lucky to be alive, huh? 

Me (laughing): Hah! I got you so good. I didn't get attacked by a shark, silly. That scar is from cancer!

I always get a good laugh out of people with that one.

2 comments:

  1. "I always get a good laugh out of people with that one." You have to believe me on this, you wouldn't get the slightest smile from me, cancer beats shark in my world. But you show courage joking about it and I like that.
    (reading in a chronological order, as you recommended ^^ )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better strap in, Oussama, it is an 8 post epic. =)

    ReplyDelete