Friday, July 29, 2011

Radiologists probably don't do their own pedicures

The most devastating thing about going to medical school is the loss of my pink and whites. They don't allow them in hospitals because bacteria can live underneath the acrylic. I am still in mourning.


Given that I about to go into more debt than I thought possible, it seems prudent to save money where I can.

So, today, for the first time ever, I gave myself a real pedicure with foot scrub and soaking and everything. I had to buy some supplies first; there is a bit of an initial investment. All told, it cost about $70:


But considering that I do a pedicure about once a month at $30 a pop, that's a lot of money I just saved at the expense of my relaxation.

While at the beauty supply store, I met a radiologist randomly. I'm always a bit surprised to meet a doctor out in the wild.

Doctors: they are just like us! They need beauty supplies too.
I told her that my interviewers seemed convinced I would enjoy diagnostic radiology. She shook her head sadly at me and said, "Impossible to get into, but it's a great field." We had a nice chat, and she took her leave.

But now I'm a little worried. What if I do really like radiology? And not for the money or the lifestyle, but because that is my calling? And what if I can't get into the specialty? That would stink. I imagine my worry will have compounded a million percent by the time I actually begin applying to residency programs. Looking forward to that.

So now that I'm super relaxed, I go home to give myself a pedicure. I used the guide here, but I'm sure better ones exist.

Drum roll please. Our end result:


Not bad if I do say so myself. If we zoomed in on my toes, we would probably find they are a bit rough around the edges. I may or may not have slipped on every toe while putting on the polish. But from far away, they look pretty good!

Sorry to anyone that is grossed out by feet. You probably should not read any further posts with the word "Pedicure" in the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment