Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hatha Yoga

I went to Hatha Yoga for the first time today. It was...interesting.

The first 10 minutes went something like this:

*lights are dim, lying on my back, instructor pacing speaking softly*

"Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out. Feeeeeel the energy of your body. We know that we live under some certain atmospheric pressure, and the physics of our being, but we must become in tune with the energy of breathing. Are we exhaling big? Living life to the fullest with each exhale?"

"Feel your fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, chest. Your feet, knees and thighs. Recognize that you'll eventually lose mobility. Your joints will become stiff with age. Eventually, you'll probably become immobile. Confined to a wheelchair, strapped into a hospital bed. It's an inevitability."

....wait, what?

I kid you not, this was the first 10 minutes of Yoga class. Me being reminded of my mortality and the slow, inexorable tide of aging until I am left a drooling husk. Great. I'm at peace now. Did I mention how relaxing that was?

All in all, the rest of the class was excellent. But I don't think I'll be attending the Saturday class anymore; a bit too heavy-hitting for a 45 minute gym class.

No comments:

Post a Comment